Award Winners Announced for 2016 Cumberland Valley Artists Exhibition & Cumberland Valley Photographic Salon
HAGERSTOWN, MD—The Washington County Museum of Fine Arts is happy to announce the award-winning works of art for the 2016 Cumberland Valley Artists Exhibition and the Cumberland Valley Photographic Salon Exhibition.
Of the 324 art entries, this year’s jurors selected 66 works of art for inclusion in the Cumberland Valley Art Exhibition and five award-winning pieces. Jurors were Foon Sham, Professor of Art at the University of Maryland, College Park, and Stephen Wicks, the Barbara W. and Bernard E. Bernstein Curator at the Knoxville Museum of Art in Knoxville, Tennessee. Best of Show, sponsored by the Washington County Museum of Fine Arts, was awarded to Benjamin McAfee of Chambersburg, Pennsylvania for the oil on linen painting “Forever.” The jurors also selected the following works of art for awards:
- The Clyde H. Roberts Award for Best Watercolor Landscape to Kristrinah Ayala, College Park, Maryland for the watercolor “Duck Sneaking Out of Marsh.”
- The Hagerstown Area Religious Council Award for Outstanding Spiritual Entry to Michael Rossman, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, for the Silver point graphite drawing on buff paper prepared with beeswax and marble dust, “Ten Thousand Storms #33.”
- The Washington County Arts Council, Inc. Award for work of art by a Washington County, Maryland, resident to Teresa Roberts of Hagerstown, Maryland, for the oil on canvas painting, “Small Wonders #1.”
- The Valley Art Association Award to Julie Maynard for her mixed media collage, “Ash Grove at Night.”
Visitors to the exhibition are invited to vote for their favorite work of art in the Popular Prize Award, sponsored by Howard’s Art Supplies & Custom Framing of Hagerstown. The winner of this award will be announced at the close of the exhibition.
Of the 301 photographic entries this year’s juror, Baldwin Lee, photographer and professor who taught at the University of Tennessee School of Art for 32 years, selected 39 works of art for inclusion in the Cumberland Valley Photographic Salon Exhibition and selected five award-winning pieces. Best of Show, sponsored by the Washington County Museum of Fine Arts, was awarded to Amy Phelps of Boonsboro, Maryland, for the photograph “Subway Sweat.”
The following works of art were selected for Juror Awards:
- Juror Award sponsored by Dr. & Mrs. Robert K. Hobbs to Cathy Leaycraft of Baltimore, Maryland for the photograph “Trees Knees.”
- The Washington County Arts Council, Inc. Award for a Washington County, Maryland, resident to Emileigh Ebersole of Maugansville, Maryland, for the photograph “Storytelling.
- Anonymous Donor in Honor of Bobby Frederick Award to Annette Garthwaite of Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, for the photograph “Shenandoah Foggy Morning.
- Juror Award sponsored by Photography By Dale to Charles Armstrong of Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, for the photograph “Distressed Curtains.”
Visitors to the exhibition are invited to vote for their favorite work of art in the People’s Choice Award, sponsored by LA Cameras of Chambersburg, Pennsylvania. The winner of this award will be announced at the close of the exhibition.
For more information on the Museum, please phone 301-739-5727 or visit www.wcmfa.org. Museum hours are Tuesday through Friday from 9 am to 5 pm, Saturday from 9 am to 4 pm, and Sunday from 1 pm to 5 pm.